HKUST Summer Study Abroad
HKUST has pleasure to offer HKUST undergraduate students a wide range of study abroad programs for Summer 2020. Over 40 programs are on offer. The programs take place between June and August, and span from 2 weeks to 10 weeks.
Round 1: 28 Nov 2019 - 15 Dec 2019
In order to meet the nomination deadlines as set by certain host institutions, HKUST may process certain applications in sequence. If quotas are filled after the Round 1 deadline, the program will not open for applications in subsequent rounds. So, students are advised to apply early; preferably during Round 1.
Please CLICK HERE for the list of programs with details of the program duration and fees.
You are eligible to apply for HKUST Summer Study Abroad if you fulfill the requirements listed below.
- HKUST full-time undergraduate students who will have completed Year 1 by the start of the program. Students who have participated in summer programs offered by HKUST Office of Global Learning (OGL) or Schools before can also apply. Special consideration may be given; and
- CGA 2.0 or above (Students with CGA below 2.0 may also apply. Offers may be given with special consideration.); and
- Students applying to programs with additional requirements set by the host institution must satisfy those requirements; and
- Have not withdrawn from any summer programs offered by OGL in the past nor been given an offer in any previous rounds for the same Summer Term.
- A placement in a study abroad program is a valuable opportunity offered by HKUST for HKUST students. It is a valuable resource which must be used effectively without wastage. You are expected to think carefully about your participation in such programs before you submit your application. There should be thorough consideration to the financial and time commitment involved. All program choices you select in your application, irrespective of their rank order, are assumed to be programs that you are prepared to take up. If there are programs that you would not participate in, even if an offer is issued, then please do not select that in your application. It is fine to not fill up all program choices.
- OGL will issue offers to any program that you select in your application. If you withdraw from the program any time after you have committed to the offer, you will lose your eligibility to apply again in the future.
- For Summer Sponsored programs, you will be required to pay back any fees which are being paid by the University if one withdraw from the program after acceptance.
- Students may apply for more than one summer programs (including summer exchange programs offered by the School of Science or the School of Engineering), please note:
- You are eligible to submit applications via MyStudyAbroad system
- Offers will be issued for any or all successful applications
- You are restricted to commit to one offer only
- Please note the penalty details of the School and OGL if you decide to decline an offer or withdraw from an offer after acceptance
- Check the program list of what programs are available.
- Submit your application via MyStudyAbroad before the application deadline. Students MUST submit a 3 to 4-minute long video clip of a self-introduction. The detailed specifications and instructions are provided in the application.
- Unless otherwise announced, no late applications will be accepted.
- Once your application is submitted, you will not be allowed to make any changes to your program choices.
- Application decisions will be released on MyStudyAbroad (with email notification sent to your HKUST email account) on a rolling basis. You are advised to check email regularly (including your junk folder).
- In order to meet the nomination deadlines as set by certain host institutions, HKUST may process certain applications in sequence.
- Where possible, decisions will be made after the CGA of the previous term is available.
- You should familiarize yourself with the host institution’s application deadline, procedures and requirements. There could be cases that you may need to submit your application to the host institution very shortly after you receive OGL’s offer.
Please prepare the documents listed below and upload on MyStudyAbroad by the application deadline. It is not necessary to submit hard copies.
- HKUST official transcript or unofficial transcript downloaded from the Student Information System
- Personal statement
- English proficiency score report (e.g. TOEFL / IELTS) for programs which have English language proficiency requirement. Please refer to the individual program page and host institution's website for details. Students applying for programs with specific TOEFL/IELTS requirements, but whom do not provide proof of meeting these requirements by the HKUST application deadline, will not be considered.
Note: Since the application deadlines set by the host institutions may be soon after HKUST's offer release, OGL advises students to check for the supporting document requirements as requested by the host institutions and start preparing for them well in advance. In particular, students applying for programs which require academic reference letters should prepare for these as soon as possible.
Participation in these programs requires HKUST nomination. HKUST students must apply through OGL. Individual direct application to the host institution will not be accepted.
The whole application process has two steps.
Step 1: Click the "Apply Now" button on this page to complete HKUST application forms and submit supplementary documents.Make sure your click on "Submit Application" button on the application page in order to submit your application.
Step 2: Host Institution Application - If you are nominated, you will be provided with details to submit a formal application to the host institution application.
(You should familiarize yourself with the host institution's application deadline. There could be cases that you may need to submit your application to the host institution as soon as you receive OGL's offer.)
Selection is made taking into account the following factors:
- Academic standing (CGA); and
- Information provided in your Personal Statement, Resume and in the section "Personal development, communication skills and community involvement"; and
- Performance in self-introduction video
The results will be announced via MyStudyAbroad. The offer is a confirmation of HKUST’s nomination. The final admission decision rests with the host institution. The host institution also does not guarantee that you will be able to enroll into any specific courses, as course registration is, in most cases, a separate process. If you decide to take this offer and confirm your participation in this program, you must be prepared to be flexible with the follow-up arrangements, including, but not limited to, course selection.
Accepting the offer
Each student is restricted to commit to one offer only within the same term. To commit to the offer, you must:
- Follow the instructions in the MyStudyAbroad system to commit to the offer. This may require the signing of some forms online in the system.
- To commit to the offer, you are required to submit a deposit of HK$2,000 by the deadline stated on your offer letter. This deposit will be returned to you (i) upon submission of the official transcript issued by the host institution, and (ii) OGL's review of your study abroad report submitted by the deadline. If you subsequently withdraw or fail to complete the program, the deposit will not be returned.
Declining the offer
- If you choose to decline the offer given by OGL, you will have lower priority in your future application for the summer programs offered by OGL.
- If you do not commit to the offer by the deadline stated on your offer letter, we assume that you decline the offer.
Withdrawal and Penalty
- Students who decide to withdraw from the HKUST Summer Study Abroad any time after committing to the offer for any reasons MUST inform OGL immediately via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Students who withdraw from the program any time after committing to the offer will lose the eligibility to apply for HKUST Summer Study Abroad again in the future, and the deposit will not be returned.
- Students who withdraw from the sponsored programs any time after committing to the offer are also required to pay back any fees which are being paid by the University.
- Students who fail to inform OGL of the withdrawal will not be allowed to apply for any programs offered by OGL again in the future.
The HKUST Study Abroad Financial Assistance aims to help HKUST students with financing their study abroad programs. More details can be found at HKUST Study Abroad website.
Study Plan & Credit Transfer
Please visit HKUST Study Abroad website for details. Students are responsible to check with the host institution on the course/program completion requirements to be awarded the credits.
You will be responsible to ensure that you have the appropriate visa and documents for studying in the destination country. Please refer to the individual program page for more information.
Health insurance is mandatory for some institutions. Please refer to the individual program page for details.
HKUST students who take part in study abroad programs organized by the University will be covered by the University's Travel Insurance Plan. Please CLICK HERE for details.
Most of the programs will provide on or off-campus accommodation. Separate application may be required. For details, please refer to the individual program page.